Theodore Kiviat began his legal career in California, where he honed his skills litigating inside the nation’s largest court system – the Los Angeles County Superior Court. A seasoned civil litigator, Ted has over twenty years of multijurisdictional experience at the trial and appellate level zealously safeguarding the interests of individuals, organizations, and businesses of all sizes. Ted’s practice has included the representation of litigants at the trial and appellate level in insurance claims related litigation, construction defect litigation, medical malpractice litigation, product liability litigation, real estate litigation, probate litigation, and general commercial litigation.
While practicing in California, Ted’s efforts for his clients resulted in two jury verdicts that awarded punitive damages, including a multimillion dollar verdict against movie director Peter Bogdanovich.
After returning home to Maryland over a decade ago, Ted practiced in the Civil Litigation Division at two of Maryland’s largest law firms prior to becoming Of Counsel at Longman & Van Grack LLC in 2014. Ted regularly represents individual, businesses, and nonprofits in on many different issues (trial court and appeals) including real estate matters, insurance matters, construction matters, medical malpractice, product liability, probate litigation, and general commercial litigation.
From case onset through discovery to trial and appeals, Ted brings with him a keen ability to recognize and account for critical issues before they develop. Combined with a practical understanding of the technical and legal issues that encompass the areas within which he practices, Ted is well positioned to champion his clients’ interests with dynamic legal solutions that provide the best strategy for success.
- J.D. California Western School of Law, San Diego California
- B.A. Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana
- State of Maryland
- Maryland Court of Appeals
- Maryland Court of Special Appeals
- District of Columbia
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- State of California
- Supreme Court of California
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit