Adam Van Grack regularly assists individuals, corporations, small businesses, and nonprofits on a broad range of legal problems and legal solutions. Specifically, Adam has extensive experience in civil litigation, business law, appeals, recreation law, sports law, environmental law, legal ethics, real estate law, contract disputes, and nonprofit law. Adam’s legal advice and legal opinions have been featured in many different publications, including The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, The New York Times, and The Baltimore Sun.
Adam is the head of the Firm’s Litigation Practice, and Adam’s own civil litigation practice addresses many legal issues at both the trial and appellate levels, including contract disputes, financial disputes, probate litigation, real estate matters, general appeals, technology disputes, business law, liability/waiver disputes, sports law, river rights, and environmental law. Adam also often handles complex appeals directly from trial courts, lower appellate courts, and administrative agencies, most regularly in the Maryland Court of Appeals, Maryland Court of Special Appeals, District of Columbia Court of Appeals, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeal for the D.C. Circuit, and Supreme Court of the United States.
Adam also has significant experience in environmental, land use, natural resources, and property law. Accordingly, Adam was appointed a Professor with a title of Senior Lecturer at Washington University in St. Louis teaching issues related to land use, environmental law, property law, and natural resources law. Adam regularly employs his legal and scientific background to advise clients regarding a variety of environmental law, outdoor recreation, river access, river rights, natural resources, property, contamination, and toxic tort legal issues. Adam has worked with many different state and federal agencies regarding a multitude of environmental and natural resources issues. Adam also worked in the United States Senate on environmental and energy issues.
Adam is regularly active in the outdoor recreation and sports community, and one of his passions is providing legal services to outdoor/adventure/sporting companies and nonprofits. Adam’s legal advice related to sports and recreation has been featured in such publications as Outside Magazine, Canoe & Kayak Magazine, Box Pro Magazine, Texas Sports Safety, and Washingtonian Magazine. Adam has also litigated and provided legal advice to clients on river access issues in many different contexts. Adam has also spent many years on and assisting the executive boards of nonprofit organizations that focus on outdoor recreation, sports safety, Olympic athlete support, river stewardship, and environmental conservation.
Adam has also represented multiple United States Olympians and world-renowned athletes on a wide variety of legal matters. Adam regularly counsels Olympian and other athlete clients on sports and outdoor recreation issues, such as contracts, releases, waivers, permits, liability, and property concerns. In fact, Adam is currently the Chair of the United States’ National Governing Body for canoe and kayak sports and serves on the Board of Directors of USA Canoe/Kayak. Adam has also been awarded the prestigious “Havens Leadership Award” by the United States Olympic Committee.
Adam also has extensive experience in legal ethics, legal malpractice, and professional responsibility. Adam has served as an expert witness on legal ethics and professional responsibility in Maryland, and he currently serves on the Bar Association of Montgomery County’s Legal Ethics Committee. Adam was also appointed by the Governor of Maryland to the Maryland Juvenile Justice Advisory Council.
As a native Washingtonian who attended high school in Rockville, Maryland, Adam regularly counsels numerous Montgomery County, Maryland and Washington, DC area businesses on various corporate and legal matters.
- State of Maryland
- Maryland Court of Appeals
- Maryland Court of Special Appeals
- District of Columbia
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
Honors & Distinctions
- Legal Ethics Committee, Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland
- Governor Appointee, Maryland Juvenile Justice Advisory Counsel
- USACK Havens Leadership Award, 2015
- AVVO Superb Rating Award in Legal Practice, 2014-2017
- AVVO Excellent Rating Award in Legal Practice, 2011-2013
- Order of Barristers, 2002
- CALI Award of Excellence in Environmental Law, 2001
- Judge Samuel M. Breckenridge Legal Award, 2001
In The News
- Adam Van Grack Quoted in the Washington Post regarding river access rights
- Adam Van Grack Quoted in the New York Times regarding analysis of river rights
- Adam Van Grack Quoted in the Wall Street Journal on a water rights dispute
- Adam Van Grack Quoted in the Daily Record on a Maryland appeals matter
- Adam Van Grack Quoted in the Baltimore Sun on a Potomac River land lawsuit
- Adam Van Grack Quoted in the New York Times regarding a tree removal issue
- Adam Van Grack Quoted in Outside Magazine regarding legal expert opinions
- Adam Van Grack Featured in the Daily Record for assisting Olympic athletes
- Adam Van Grack Quoted in Box Pro Magazine on waiver concerns for businesses